Anyone who works out on a regular basis will be glad to know that, on those occasions when you cannot make it to the gym, there are plenty of great exercises that you can at home, that don’t require any equipment.
Whether cannot go to the gym because you are out of town, on holiday or because of sub zero temperatures and bad weather, it is reassuring to know that your exercise routine does not need to suffer.
We have gathered together what we believe to be 9 of the best exercises you can do, without the need for any equipment. They are perfect for those times when you cannot make it to the gym:
- Push-ups – Push-ups are the perfect example of an exercise that does not require any equipment. Lie face down on the floor with your palms spaced a little wider than shoulder width apart and with your fingers pointing forwards. Raise your body using your arms until they are extended fully, making sure your body and thighs create a straight line. Then lower your body until your arms form a right angle at the elbows, and repeat;
- Plank – Lie face down on the floor with your upper body supported on your elbows, shoulder width apart. Your arms should be pointing straight ahead. Raise your body so that it forms a straight line running from your feet to your head. Then hold that position.
- Cobra – Lie on the floor, palms down, shoulder width apart with your legs and toes pointed. Press your hips to the floor and push your body up until your upper and lower arm form a right angle. Hold, lower yourself to the floor and repeat;
- Squat Jumps – Place your feet shoulder width apart. Descend into a squat position, keeping your back upright. Jump up, land and repeat.
- Single Leg Stand – Stand upright with your feet apart. Slowly raise your left knee in front of you until so that your foot is no more than 15cm above the floor. Hold for 10 – 15 seconds. Slowly and smoothly lower your leg to the floor and do the same for the right one. To get the most out of this exercise perform each action slowly and in a controlled fashion;
- Crunches – Lie flat on your back with your feet on the floor and knees bent. Position your hands behind your head. Lift your head, shoulders and upper back of the floor, hold and lie down again;
- Burpees – (also known as squat thrusts) Stand with your apart and your arms by your sides. Then lower your body into a squat position. Place your hands on the floor in front of you and move your feet behind you until you are in the plank position. Keep your back straight. Next jump your feet back to a position next to your hands and stand up, raise your arms above your head and follow through with a jump in the air;
- Wall sit – Sometimes even simple exercises can be very effective. No specialised equipment is required, all you need to do is find a wall. Simply slide your back down the wall until your thighs are parallel to the ground and you form a right angle at your hips and your knees. Then hold;
- Superman / Superwoman – Lie on your stomach with your arms and legs stretched out. Slowly lift your legs a few inches off the floor. At the same time lift your arms in a similar manner. Hold briefly, then let go.